What is “Triage?” Typically, it’s a medical term, defined as “the process of sorting victims to determine medical priority, in order to increase the number of survivors.”
So how does the concept of “Triage” apply to Social Media Monitoring?
The number of social posts that mention brands continually increases. In 2012, 53% of social media users complimented brands at least once a month. In addition, 50% of social media users expressed concerns or complaints about brands at least once a month in 2012.
If your organization has a social media monitoring program, you are likely becoming overwhelmed with incoming mentions. How is a smart social organization to contend with the growing volume?
One solution is to use Social Monitoring Automation Triage to separate incoming signal from the staggering amount of internet noise. Once this triage phase is complete, you can use manual Triage to sort the Signal, separating posts that require immediate company response from those the simply require research. Finally, a third level of triage can help you connect the optimal employee to the customer, based on the content of the social mention.
On my team, we’ve chosen to segment actionable posts into seven (7) data classes:
- Case: Request for help resolving real-time issue
- Query: Question that doesn’t require support resource
- Rant: Insult that merits brand management consideration
- Rave: Praise from your brand advocate
- Lead: Pronouncement of near-term purchase decision
- RFE: Request to enhance a product with a new feature
- Fraud: Communication from an unauthorized provider of your products
We route posts of each class to a different business function for response, as follows:
- Case: Routed to Technical Support for immediate interaction
- Query: Routed to Information Developers and Technical Writers
- Rant: Routed to PR for brand protection assessment
- Rave: Routed to Marketing for proactive engagement with advocates
- Lead: Routed to Sales for pipeline consideration
- RFE: Routed to Product Management for road map consideration
- Fraud: Routed to Legal for follow-up and official action
By using Social Media Monitoring Triage, wise brands can reach customers on their channel of choice, connecting them to the employees best equipped to meet their needs. This attentive strategy improves customer experience and builds customer loyalty.
For more information about the justification for building this process, see Loyalty and Social CRM on SlideShare.