What makes a great leader?
- Is it a way with words or courage under fire?
- Is it a strong hand and a soft heart?
- Is it a formidable stance or an indomitable will?
All these things matter, of course. But I suggest that great leadership comes from within. I believe it’s forged in humility and visible in servant-hood. With this in mind, here’s what I consider the “Top 10 Traits of Great Leaders.”
- Great leaders can eye an acorn and envision the oak tree.
- Great leaders let values rule their calendars.
- Great leaders equip, empower and expect excellence.
- Great leaders use hindsight to fuel foresight.
- Great leaders know when to “reason with” and when to “empathize with”.
- Great leaders welcome ANY input that increases their effectiveness.
- Great leaders brave an issue before it escalates into an impasse.
- Great leaders proactively protect their team from despair.
- Great leaders know when to push their OWN “mute” button.
- Great leaders know when to reassess, retreat, recharge and return!
Now that you know what I think, I’d love to know your thoughts. Specifically:
Which of the Top 10 seems most important to you?
Oh yes, and what are a few I’ve forgotten?